Sinopia Comics Inc. FAQ:
- What is Sinopia Comics?
- Are all the comics on this site really free to read?
- Hehe, so…I don’t have to donate anything? Ever?
- So, if I donate to my favorite Creator, he/she will make more comics?
- Can you explain the different donation models on your site?
- Do you guys sell printed books?
- How can I support my favorite Creator(s)?
- How do you collect/process my donations?
- How can I find out when the next comic in my favorite series will be out?
- Where are you located?
- Why the name, Sinopia?
- Can I send my favorite Creator a message?
- How can I submit my comic to Sinopia for distribution consideration?
- I’m an artist looking for work. How do I submit my portfolio to you?
Some call us an online comic book distributor (yawn…).
We prefer to think of Sinopia Comics as a state-of-the-art spaceship, designed to travel past the traditional solar systems of mainstream comic, to bring our Fans untold stories.
Whatever you call us, Sinopia Comics is not your traditional publisher. We are a donation-based publisher, meaning: all the comics on our site are free for Fans to read. And when Fans find a comic they like, they can support their favorite Creators by gifting them a donation.
Yup! Here aboard the Good Ship Sinopia we don’t force anyone to pay for our online comics. Instead, we focus on creating a community where Fans and Creators can come together to support one another in the creation of great art.
That’s right. We don’t force you to pay to read our online comics. Don’t get us wrong: Money always helps. Without it, the odds of our Creators being able to complete their projects go waaaay down.
But we also realize everyone’s personal situation is different. That’s why we ask that you donate what you can, when you can. And in turn, we’ll do our best to keep the free comics coming!
That’s completely up to the individual Creators. They are free to use their portion of the donations as they see fit.
Sure can. Long story short, Sinopia Comics publishes its own in-house books and we also serve as a distributor for other independent Creators looking to bring their comics to Fans.
There are three ways in which donations work on our site. You can:
- Donate to an independent Creator: In this scenario, the Creator will retain the majority of any donation their project receives. A small portion of the donation will be retained by Sinopia to help ensure the site remains up and running for everyone to enjoy.
- Donate to Sinopia-published comic: Our in-house projects are governed by the individual agreements we reach with our Creators, meaning donation allocations vary by project.
- Donate to Sinopia Comics Inc. directly: If you like the direction we’re going with this site, you can donate to us directly. Sinopia Comics will retain 100 per cent of these donations and use the money to maintain the site, keep the lights on, and do our best to keep the free comics coming.
Right now we are a strictly an online distributor. But who knows what the future holds…
In your staterooms, aboard The Good Ship Sinopia, you’ll find an arsenal of tools to help you lend your support to your favorite Creators:
- Use the donation tool to financially thank a Creator for sharing their comic with us all
- Use the social media links to help tell the home world about a Creator’s comic you enjoyed
- Use the Leave a Note tool (available when you make a donation) to share your feedback on a series with us
We use PayPal to collect all donations.
Comic announcements will be broadcasted via our news blog and over social media whenever possible.
Uhh, you mean when our spaceship isn’t flying around the indie comic universe in search of fresh, new comics? If that’s what you mean…our ship docks in the port of great steaks, a great rodeo, and great comics: under the long shadow of the Calgary Tower, in Canada.
Sinopia is a dark reddish-brown pigment that was often used in the Renaissance Era to outline the figures in mural paintings: creating the foundation for some of the world’s greatest works of art.
What greater name for a spaceship that searches the universe for untold stories than one which has served for centuries as the foundation for fine art.
You’re welcome to use the Leave a Note feature available to all Fans whenever you make a donation.
The Good Ship Sinopia comes fully equipped with a submission portal. Please read all the information, including the Q&A and Submission Agreement carefully, before submitting your comic for consideration.
While we currently have no openings for artists, we would be happy to keep your portfolio on file should the need for an artist in the future arise.
Please visit our submissions page for more information.